Welcome to AP US History. This discussion will give you the opportunity the instructor and the other students in your class. In addition you'll talk about why people study history in the first place.
In your first posting, answer these questions:
- What's your name? What grade are you in?
- What topic in US History is most interesting to you? Why?
As you read other students' responses, respond to to one or more of these questions in your own follow up posting(s):
- Do you think studying history is important? If you answered yes, give a reason.
- Do you think we can learn about ourselves by understanding how people in the past dealt with issues confronting them?
- Do our attitudes toward the past, whether positive or negative, affect our own politics and ideas?
- Many historians think it's niave to assume that studying history helps us avoid repeating past mistakes. Do you agree or disagree?
Scoring:
This discussion is worth a maximum of 15 points. You'll get 10 points for your first post. You instructor will give you another 5 points if you post a follow-up comment or question that furthers the discussion.
It is easy to post, just scroll down, type your words, and click post comment
ReplyDeleteI used google, but I have a google account. I really can't play with it because it signs me in. Play around with it and let me know the technique, so we don't have to fill this thing up with dumb comments.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Marcus Ford. I am a Sophmore at Monroe Comprehensive High School. The topic in U.S. History that is most interesting to me is the history of law and the legal system. I am interested in this because I want to become a lawyer and the history of the legal system will help me to understand and apply to my field of learning.
ReplyDeleteHi!My name is Dominique Danielle Davis.This year i will be a Sophomore at Monroe High School. I love sports, in fact I am a softball,and basketball player for my school. I am from and reside in Albany Georgia.I am more of a science person, but if i had to choose a topic in U.S. History that is most interesting to me, it would have to be law. I chose law, because in American Government I was very interested in all the laws we have and how they came about.My goal is to go to the air force and go to college to become a Cardiologist.I also plan on Majoring in Biology, and thought this would look good on my application. I am an honor roll student,and plan on keeping it that way.I am looking forward to this class and all it have to offer.
ReplyDeleteDo i think history is important? Yes. I think history is very important because it teaches you the value of something,and how it came about.Without history we wouldn't know anything about our past and about any historical figures.So yes it is very important. We can also learn about ourselves by comparing ourselves with people that have dealt with similar situations in the past. We may learn how to deal with that particular situation and it will benefit us in the long run.
ReplyDeleteDo our attitudes toward the past, whether positive or negative, affect our own politics and ideas? Yes because the past determined the political groups that are here now. We have many political groups that have came about and their attitudes determined their beliefs,so yes our attitudes affect what we believe whether positive or negative. I agree that studying history helps us avoid repeating past mistakes. If you have learned about a particular situation why would you repeat the mistake again? I think that it helps prevent situations that may be dangerous. So I totally agree.
Hello my name is Travious Ja'Corey Scott. I was born September 20,1994 at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany,GA. I am an sophomore at Monroe Comprehensive High School. I can't wait for this year in AP U.S. History to get started. The Slavery topic in U.S history is most important to me because that is how most African-Americans can trace there ancestry back and I feel it is a key element in U.S. history that cannot be overlooked
ReplyDeleteI believe that studying history is very important and every person should have knowledge of even the most primary forms of history. Yet I know in the society that we live in, that that is not the case for many people living in areas where they cannot get the proper education that is needed to learn even the basics of history. Even in our country there are many areas where a 3rd grade education is the norm. But i was told to believe in the famous saying that,"you don't know where you're going if you don't know where you came from." That saying is what i think about when I read a history book. It is also the fuel that keeps me going in my passion for history.
ReplyDelete